FLC is offering TWO virtual tutor/teacher trainings this month. These trainings are free; participants need to have telephone and internet access simultaneously to participate. Click here to read the presenters’ bios. These training sessions are specifically designed to assist literacy tutors and teachers.
- Training Topic: Strategic Reading Instruction to Improve Comprehension for Struggling Reader
- Date: June 22
- Time: 6:30 – 8:00 p.m.
- Instructor: Iris Strunc, Northwest Florida State College
- Description: Although many school hours are devoted to reading instruction, many students simply do not understand what they read. This training will explain how strategic analysis of text can help focus struggling readers on the text and task in front of them. Participants will be shown specific comprehension strategies using highlighters, post-it notes and index cards to assist ineffective readers to analyze and comprehend text better.
- Training Topic: Effective Vocabulary Instruction for the Struggling Adult Learner
- Date: June 30
- Time: 12:00-1:30 p.m.
- Instructor: Cecilia A. Hicks, Florida State College at Jacksonville
- Description: Many adult learners struggle with reading for a variety of reasons. This workshop will explore several of these reasons and offer instructors research- and evidence-based solutions to this literacy dilemma. The primary focus of this training will be on vocabulary development. Participants will leave with proven strategies and activities designed to foster vocabulary development in the adult learner.
HOW IT WORKS
Participate from the comfort of your own home or office. All you need is a telephone and access to the Internet. We will send you a toll-free number and web address (URL) when you register. On the evening of the workshop, you simply join the conference call and go to the web site which will allow you to access the slide show.
Questions? Contact Yari Payne at email@example.com or (407) 246-7110 ext. 203.
These trainings are collaborative learning events brought to you by the Florida Adult Literacy Resource Center, a program of the Florida Literacy Coalition. These trainings are made possible through the support of the Florida Department of Education, Division of Career and Adult Education.