If a student has difficulty remembering how to spell words, using a kinesthetic (touch and movement) approach can help in the retention of spelling new words.
- A list of words that your student has difficulty spelling.
- A large sheet of paper.
- A marking pen.
- Write a word in large print (3” to 5” high) on the sheet of paper.
- Ask the student to read the word.
- Have the student spell the word on the card while tracing it with his index and middle finger.
- Repeat this until the student thinks she or he knows how to spell the word.
- Remove the card and have the student write the word.
- If correct, have the student write the word three or more times.
- If incorrect, have the student trace the word again and repeat the procedure.
- Once the student becomes familiar with the above procedure, he/she can practice new words independently as homework.