Governor Rick Scott recently signed a proclamation recognizing September as Florida Adult and Family Literacy Month! Take advantage of this month to promote literacy in your community. See below for events and celebration ideas!
Great Ways to Participate:
- Florida State Parks is helping to promote literacy by creating a month of family friendly special events centered on reading. You can visit the Florida State Parks Events page to find an event near you.
- Help inspire prospective students and educators by sharing your literacy success stories with us so that we can share them with the community at large. Click here to submit.
- Become a literacy volunteer and help change lives. If you can read, you can help! Call us at our hotline for more information about volunteering in your community at 1 (800) 237-5113 or visit our Directory of Volunteer Opportunities to find a volunteering opportunity near you.
- Create your own event by making the most out of the ProLiteracy International Literacy Day Toolkit’s suggested activities guide.
- Browse teaching resources on the Teaching Resources sub-reddit or join a discussion in any of the education themed forums. For a list of relevant sub-reddits, please visit our page at Florida Literacy and see the sidebar on the right side of the page.
- Share this informative graphic by UNESCO with your community on social media.